Have you ever noticed that when the power goes out, you still hit the light switch out of habit? We all do it – using electricity is as natural to us as breathing. It’s so ingrained in our day-to-day life that we rarely think about just how much we depend on it.
In Kenya, available power is a luxury for the wealthy – less than 20% of Kenyans have access to electricity. Many children do their homework by candlelight, or if they’re fortunate, kerosene lamps. But while these lamps are conveniently portable and easy to refill, they also have some major drawbacks.
Kerosene prices continue to rise in Kenya, skyrocketing recently to about $0.92 US per litre. The average family in Kenya makes less than $2 a day – kerosene is not an extravagance they can afford.
There are also health issues to consider. Kerosene emits a variety of unfiltered gases as it burns, one of them being carbon monoxide. In small doses, this subtle gas can give you dizziness or flu-like symptoms. Inhaling kerosene fumes also causes respiratory health issues.
It seems the solution to the power problem only causes more problems.
So what’s the solution?
Just look up.
Solar Lanterns harness the energy of the sun, bringing light into dark homes without needing electricity, fossil fuels, or other sources of power. Families will breathe cleaner air and save about $10 a month on fuel costs – which is huge when that equals a week of wages!
Solar Lanterns – better for our children, their families, and the environment.
What’s not to love?[details-gift sku=”srig-5657″]