Let’s face it—money matters. And when it comes to where you invest it, you want to be completely confident.
Giving to charities is no different. It can be easy to question where your money really goes and how it’s used. It can be easy to be skeptical.
And we don’t blame you. We know that giving isn’t one dimensional. That it’s not just about a transaction, but about a calling, a passion and a vision. When you set out to invest in the lives of children in poverty, you want to be sure that you’re doing just that.
In a survey for their 2018 Global Trends in Giving Report, Non-Profit Tech For Good reported six reasons why people do not give to charities. They found that 12% of those surveyed don’t trust organizations to spend their money well.
If that statistic tells us anything, it’s that charities have work to do. At Compassion, we want you to be confident in where you are investing your gifts. We’re proud to be named one of Canada’s Top 100 Charities for Financial Transparency and are committed to continuing to earn our generous donors’ trust.
Our desire is to steward your generosity, given through your sacrifice, with your passion, and as part of your vision and calling with intentionality and responsibility. We love our supporters and want to enable them to make an incredible impact for the Kingdom.
Like you, we value transparency and responsibility. So, we’re answering some of your most practical and burning questions when it comes to all things money.
1. Does my sponsored child receive my donations in cash?
Sponsored children and families don’t receive cash, but instead are recipients of goods and services, carefully designed, delivered or purchased according to their needs by their local church. 100 per cent of family and child gifts go directly to the child and family, as appropriate gifts purchased by centre staff in consultation with the family.
2. Does Compassion have a bare minimum of what they send directly to the field?
Our commitment is that no less than 80 per cent of your donation goes directly to ministry activities—including all expenses that occur within the country your sponsored child is from—which directly benefit sponsored children.
3. How were my donations used in 2019?
Donations were used in two main ways: toward sponsorship and for non-sponsorship activities.
4. What is your percentage allotment toward sponsorship and non-sponsorship?
91.8 per cent of ministry activity funds were directed toward sponsorship, which is our child development program. 8.2 per cent of ministry activity funds went to non-sponsorship, which includes Survival initiatives, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene initiatives, Education and Health. (See the full list here).
5. How much do you spend on fundraising?
For every dollar we spent, 10.6 cents were used for fundraising efforts.
6. What does the 10.6 cents per every dollar spent for fundraising efforts cover?
The 10.6 cents used for fundraising efforts in 2019 paid for our fundraising staff, print and media advertising, printing and distribution costs for our mailings, fundraising events and online activities. Compassion does not, directly or indirectly, pay finder’s fees, commissions or percentage compensation based on contributions.
7. Where does Compassion’s support come from?
In our last fiscal year, Compassion’s support came from 89,142 individuals, families and organizations. Individuals make up 97 per cent of our total supporters. The other 3 per cent comes from businesses, churches, schools, foundations, service or community organizations.
8. Is Compassion considered reputable by the wider public?
Yes! In fact, Compassion has been rated one of Canada’s best charities for financial integrity in 2020 by MoneySense, Charity Intelligence Canada and Maclean’s. To ensure ongoing transparency and responsibility, independent and internal audits of our work are conducted regularly to ensure donor support is being used efficiently and with integrity. Compassion Canada is a certified member of the Canadian Council of Christian Charities and proudly accepts the Seal of Organizational Integrity and Accountability from the council.
9. Do you share your audited financial statements with the public?
We thought you’d never ask! Each year, we make our audited financial statements available to you with all the details you want! Check out the latest one here. As a registered Canadian charity, our financial details are also made available publicly on the Canada Revenue Agency’s website.