Compassion Canada is seeking an individual to function as a web developer.
Position: Web Developer
Department: Information Systems
Salary: TBD + Benefits
Location: London, Ontario
At Compassion Canada, a web developer participates as a web systems software and web application programmer reporting to the Information Systems Manager, and is responsible for building, maintaining, and augmenting web-based software solutions to meet business growth expectations, through internally- and externally-facing applications, libraries, and APIs. A web developer is expected to be well versed in multiple modern development languages, protocols, and tools, and must be an excellent problem solver, researcher, and solution finder. Adaptability to new methodologies, as well as familiarity with standardized development architecture patterns is required.
Since Compassion Canada is a Christian Mission organization whose role involves both ministry in and to the local church, both in Canada and abroad, and since it is expected of our donor base that we operate as a Christian ministry giving honour to Jesus Christ, each employee of Compassion Canada shall:
- Participate in regular chapel services and corporate prayers.
- Pray with donors when requested by same or when deemed appropriate with donor’s permission. (This will apply to some positions more than others).
- Conduct themselves in a Christ-like manner at work and outside the workplace.
- Promote and defend the evangelical approach to ministry that Compassion Canada has adopted and put into practice.
It is further recognized that, since Compassion Canada is a Church-based ministry, both in Canada and abroad, each employee should be a member in good standing of a church that is in agreement with Statement of Faith of Compassion Canada.
Note: The following statements and descriptions are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills of the person so classified. Responsibilities and duties may change from time to time, and will be outlined in annual metrics to ensure clarity and definition.
- Develop web application solutions in accordance with architectural patterns. This includes primarily our corporate website and all interconnected systems with customer account management, and our internal service and support application.
- Develop functional and object-oriented API solutions for web integration and system integration use.
- Working with, and influencing, CI and CD requirements, and rapid application development solutions.
- Collaborate closely with designers on best practices for technology solutions and software development lifecycle requirements.
- Actively participate in full testing and integration for responsive design, and standard design/development requirements.
Research and Architecture
- Read, interpret, and contribute to specifications documents, such as requirements, use cases and process workflows.
- Investigate new technologies and trends, and recommend solutions for added business value.
- Continually update technical knowledge and skills through external courses and reading material.
- Regularly communicate appropriate new research information to other development team members
Solid understanding of, and/or expertise in:
- Git, source control workflows and best practices, local and remote deployment and testing practices, SSH and SFTP deployments
- Software project management cycles and methodologies
- Configuration management, including code reviews, testing, and documentation
- Design and architecture principles and practices
- Web development and technologies (eg, HTTP, REST, cURL)
- CSS, SASS/LESS, HTML
- Linux-based web servers, including proficiency with Linux server architectures, bash shell scripting, deployment scripting methodologies, etc
Preference given to those with experience in:
- Stateless application server configurations
- React, Redux, Node.js, Webpack
- PHP and WordPress development
- relational and non-relational databases
- Proficient communication skills in verbal and written English, with solid documentation skills and discipline.
- A drive and curiosity for continuous learning, including demonstrated ability and willingness to pursue multiple development languages.
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative setting as well as independently.
- Takes initiative to see tasks through to completion, and to follow up on all tasks.
Benefits, Activities and Values of this Role
- Enjoy working with other developers and designers on a web team to build and contribute to custom applications, and build systems and tools to extend and enhance existing business applications.
- Enjoy an open and collaborative workspace, working with like-minded coworkers.
- Some options to work remotely (on occasion) as appropriate, and as projects permit.
- Work with current and upcoming technologies, with the freedom to propose and explore new technologies, guide technological solutions to accommodate changing trends and standards, and develop solutions that are forward-thinking.
Applicants should forward their resume to:firstname.lastname@example.org
We appreciate all applications for employment, however, we will only contact those applicants invited for an interview.
Please note, we will accommodate the needs of persons with disabilities in our hiring process. Should you require an accommodation during the hiring process or for this application, please contact Compassion Canada via email at email@example.com or call Human Resources at (519) 668-0224.