This project will help: 100 students from seven centres in the Central Jungle area of Peru
Estimated completion date: November 2018Miguel* was excited. He had worked hard during high school, earned outstanding grades and finally graduated! Even though he grew up in Central Jungle, a poverty-stricken area of Peru, he was determined to become a lawyer and stand up for the oppressed. However, even though he excelled in high school, every university he applied to rejected him. In Miguel’s area of Peru, the quality of education is not enough to prepare young people for acceptance into universities. Most institutions require pre-university training, which is very expensive. In fact, only 14 per cent of students who apply to the national university are accepted, and most of them come from private schools. Miguel needs pre-university training, but he has no idea how he will pay for it. He lives with his parents and two sisters in a small house with wood walls, a dirt floor and a tin roof. His parents work as subsistence farmers, but they only make C$300 a month. They want to send Miguel to school, but that would mean his sisters would go hungry. Without an education, Miguel will end up working at a low-paying job, struggling to survive, like his parents. Many adolescents in Central Jungle are just like Miguel. They desperately want to attend university, but cannot afford the required training. Many reluctantly take low-paying jobs to support their families but they know this will not help them overcome poverty. Their dreams for the future are shattered. But it doesn’t have to be this way. You can help give bright students like Miguel hope for the future! With your support, 100 high school graduates from seven centres in Central Jungle will receive pre-university training that will change their lives forever. You will also help provide career counselling and workshops that will improve their study skills, so they can succeed in school—and in life.
Help students complete pre-university training, pursue their dreams and break the cycle of poverty.
SummaryThis initiative will help 100 high school graduates from seven centres in the rural area of Central Jungle, Peru, complete pre-university training. This training will help students gain entry into universities so they can graduate, secure stable jobs and overcome poverty. They will also develop cognitively, emotionally, socially and spiritually through workshops and counselling.
- Child development centres impacted: PE0350, PE0351, PE0352, PE0354, PE0361, PE0363 and PE0500
- The problem: Right now, 100 high school graduates in Central Jungle, Peru, need your help. They have excelled in high school, but the central jungle area of Peru, additional training is needed to be accepted into higher education institutions. Most families in the area only make about C$300 a month, which is barely enough to cover basic necessities, let alone pre-university training and entrance exams. Many students feel hopeless and give up on their dreams. Discouraged, they rush into lowpaying jobs, continuing the cycle of poverty.
- What is provided through this gift:
- An effective six to 12-month pre-university training program for 100 students
- A selection process to identify deserving students for the program
- Orientation meetings for students and parents
- Regular monitoring of students’ attendance and academic progress
- Workshops to help students with memorization, time management, technical skills, reading and test-taking strategies
- Christian leadership training sessions
- University entrance exam fees for 100 students
- Local contribution: US$7,110.91
- Monitoring: Each month, students will meet with centre staff for career counselling. Staff will also monitor students’ attendance and academic progress.
- Follow-up: Centre leadership will follow up on each student’s progress to ensure the program is effective in helping students gain acceptance to professional training institutions or universities.