This project will help: 455 Indonesian students from seven Compassion centres in Wamena, Papua
Child development centres impacted: ID-408, ID-411, ID-412, ID-421, ID-424, ID-435 and ID-437
Estimated completion date: January 2021
This initiative will prepare 55 high school students in Wamena, Indonesia, for university, so they can succeed in school and in life. These students, who live in extreme poverty, will receive university preparation classes, excellent tutoring and aptitude tests to help them realize their potential. They will also attend a youth camp, which will help them understand other cultures and enrich their lives.
Equip students in Indonesia to succeed in university and transform their lives.
The educational system in Wamena, Papua, an impoverished community in Indonesia, is extremely inadequate. Many students are graduating from high school without basic skills like reading, writing and math. It’s difficult for these students to compete with other students in the country who attend superior schools. In addition, students from this community often experience culture shock when they move to larger cities to attend university. Because of this, they need help understanding other cultures. They also need loving guidance, so they can recognize their unique gifts and fulfill God’s purpose for their lives.
What is provided through this gift:
- Salary for 10 professional tutors for six months of instruction
- Aptitude, personality and psychological tests to help students recognize their talents, capabilities and purpose in life
- A youth educational camp to help students understand other cultures
- Opportunities to grow spiritually, develop socially and flourish as leaders
- Transportation, lodging and meals
- Local contribution: Due to this community’s extreme poverty, the local centres are relying fully on gifts from caring supporters.
- Monitoring: Centre leadership will carefully monitor the progress of all students.
- Handling of funds: The Centre director for each centre will be responsible for handling funds.
- Follow-up: Centre staff will follow up with students to ensure that all students are learning, developing and thriving.