This project will help: 225 people (146 children and 79 adults)
Estimated completion date: July 31, 2020
A fundamental need for all people, especially growing children, is the deep-rooted assurance of knowing they have a safe, warm and dry place to sleep at night. It’s hard to focus on things like attending school and learning to read with the relentless threat of a leaking roof, rotting walls, doors falling off and your few personal belongings being damaged by the violent wind and rainstorms. Yet this is exactly what many families living across Rwanda endure.
Denyse lives in a dilapidated house in Rwanda that can no longer provide adequate shelter for her family of seven. Her parents work hard farming for their employers, but their income isn’t enough to afford both nutritious food and safe lodging for their children. Right now, mud chunks are falling off their crumbling walls, and when it rains they have nowhere to hide.
A house in ruins isn’t a place where babies and children can thrive. This critical situation calls for an immediate intervention to help restore dignity and safety to these 40 families whose young children are supported through the Compassion Survival and Child Sponsorship Programs. All of these families live in perpetual fear; they become restless at the slightest sign of potential rain because it means they have no place to shelter their children from harm.
You can help provide a safe haven for young children who are in desperate need of protection from the harsh elements, giving them the stability of a safe and dry place to sleep and restoring dignity to each child. Living in well-built structures will give the children a place to feel loved, happy and valued. It will also remove the burden and fear from their parents. And safe, happy children will be able to focus on things like school, friends and family, all of which contribute to their healthy development and bright future.
Give the gift of secure homes and restore the dignity these children deserve.
This initiative will rebuild homes for 40 at-risk families currently living in hazardous structures. Compassion-supported babies and children, along with their siblings and caregivers, will be protected from the harsh rain and wind thanks to new roofs, doors and walls—giving them the freedom to live without fear in the rainy season and to sleep in their own homes in peace.
Child development centres impacted:
- RW0166, RW0330, RW0361, RW0386, RW0420, RW0525, RW0533, RW0534, RW0541, RW0550, RW0634, RW0726, RW0822 and RW0952
What is provided through this gift:
- Materials and labour to repair/reconstruct 40 family homes:
- 80 doors (2 doors per house)
- Follow-up and reporting
- Local contribution: US$26,283.52 and land
- Monitoring: The local Frontline Church Partners will hire contractors to oversee the house renovations. Compassion staff will mobilize the caregivers to participate by providing their labour during the various renovation phases.
- Handling of funds: Compassion International Rwanda will ensure that this intervention stays within budget.
- Follow-up: Frontline Church Partner leaders will follow up with families on the construction of their homes. Compassion centre staff look forward to seeing increased attendance and performance at the centres, thanks to this intervention.