This project will help: 15 registered beneficiaries from 13 Compassion centres in eastern El Salvador
Estimated completion date: June 2023
Faced with the limitations of poverty, many young adults in El Salvador struggle to set goals for the future and often lack motivation. A staggering 26 per cent of 15- to 24-year-olds do not study or work. Many join gangs and get involved in criminal activity. However, Compassion’s church partners have been working with vulnerable children and youth to instill in them a sense of purpose and desire to succeed in life.
Our partners in the departments of Morazán, La Unión, San Miguel and Usulután have identified students who demonstrate academic excellence, strong leadership skills and Christ-like character. These students dream of pursuing their education, but their families just can’t cover the fees. Without further education, they won’t be able to establish good careers and earn a decent living.
For children and youth living in poverty, higher education is of critical importance. A university education can help them get good jobs and break free from the cycle of poverty for good. You can change the future for these young people by helping them get a university education. Your gift will help 15 promising students go to university and pursue the careers of their choice so they can escape poverty—and inspire others to do the same.
Youth who receive opportunities for vocational training will also continue to receive spiritual development at their Compassion centre. This is an important aspect of Compassion’s holistic program, which seeks to nurture Christian leadership. Youth participate regularly in our holistic development curriculum, facilitated by caring Christian community members. They study the Bible, develop Christ-like character, learn leadership skills, serve their communities in love, and participate in Christian worship and prayer. Thus, youth are discipled to become Christian leaders who will influence their communities for Christ.
Give the gift of education and help these promising students reach their potential.
Your gift will help 15 promising young students in El Salvador get a university education and secure future employment. Centre directors and staff will monitor students’ progress and offer encouragement and support as they mentor the students. With university degrees, these students can secure well-paying jobs and lift themselves and their families out of poverty.
Child development centres impacted:
- ES0032, ES0803, ES0804, ES0820, ES0823, ES0826, ES0836, ES0837, ES0849, ES0851, ES0863, ES0938, ES0972
What is provided through this gift:
- University tuition for 15 students to pursue their careers of choice
- Education fees (eg, laboratory fees, exam fees, graduation fees)
- Career guidance and orientation
- Admission, course and enrollment fees
- Study tools: books, tools and equipment
- Meals and transportation expenses
- Local contribution: US$31,200
- Monitoring: The centre directors and tutors will work closely with parents to monitor each student’s progress. Students will be monitored on their academic progress, conduct and involvement in their local Compassion centres. They will also receive personal mentorship and support.
- Handling of funds: Each centre will be responsible for handling funds and ensuring school fees are paid on time.
- Follow-up: Centre directors will follow up with students to ensure they receive university degrees in their selected careers, so they are better positioned to earn well-paying jobs.