This project will help: 75 families
Estimated completion date: December 2021
Families in western Rwanda desperately need your help. Many parents live on less than $2 a day and barely make enough to survive. They can’t afford basic necessities for their children like food, health care and education. These parents are eager to work and improve their lives—but opportunities are limited.
Many families in this area manage small farms. However, since most families can’t afford proper fertilizer, their farms are failing. In addition, the soil has become infertile due to overcultivation. Since their farms aren’t producing crops, children are suffering from malnutrition.
Together, we can bring these families hope! Your simple gift of cows will change families’ lives. Parents will be able to sell milk from the cows and provide for their children. Since cows provide natural fertilizer, their crop productions will improve. Children will also have steady access to milk, which will decrease malnutrition.
A pass-on practice, known as “kuziturirana,” means that when a cow gives birth, the owners will give the first female calf to another family in need. This cycle will continue, giving countless people hope for the future. Families will also be able to sell other calves, which will help them overcome poverty. You’ll bless more families than you can imagine! It also creates unity and cements friendships, creating a lasting impact in the community.
Your gift today will help provide cows for 75 families (about 525 people) in western Rwanda. Each family will receive one cow, examined by a veterinarian to ensure that the cow is in excellent condition. Families will also receive valuable training on livestock care. Staff will follow up with families to make sure that they are thriving. This innovative program has proven to be very effective. You’ll be giving to a strategic project that transforms lives.
Help give families in Rwanda the gift of cows—and bring hope for years to come!
You can help provide cows for 75 families in western Rwanda. Your gift will also provide valuable training for families on livestock care. Parents will be able to sell milk from their cows and provide for their children. Children will also have steady access to milk, which will decrease malnutrition. Since cows provide natural fertilizer, crop productions in the area will improve, as well. When a cow gives birth, the owners will give the first female calf to another family in need. This cycle will continue for years to come, giving countless people hope for the future!
Child development centres impacted:
- RW0327, RW0508, RW0554, RW0565 and RW0847
What is provided through this gift:
- 75 healthy cows—one for each of 75 families in Rwanda
- Cow feed
- Training on modern animal raising techniques and livestock care
- Monitoring and follow-up by staff and local leaders
- Professional consultation and reporting
- Local contribution: $10,515.81; families will also build animals shelters on their land and plant cow feed
- Monitoring: Church leaders will monitor this project. They will select families based on their need and their access to land for growing grass to feed the cow. Partnerships between the church and government leaders and veterinarians will ensure that cows meet program standards.
- Handling of funds: Compassion’s national office in Indonesia will monitor the ongoing costs of the intervention.
- Follow-up: Compassion Rwanda will handle the funds for this project.
- Follow-up: Compassion staff and local leaders will follow up on the health of the cows and ensure that the families are thriving.