This project will help: 503 beneficiaries from 10 Compassion centres in Cochabamba
Estimated completion date: November 2020
In Cochabamba, Bolivia, Compassion’s partners are reaching out to children and youth living in poverty to transform their lives with the love of Jesus and set them free. A key part of that initiative is to release beneficiaries from spiritual poverty so they can experience true, holistic transformation.
Young people growing up in Cochabamba face a great deal of pressure from their families and peers. Teenage pregnancy and substance abuse are common, and many youth end up dropping out of school to join gangs. Most families follow a fusion of Catholicism and traditional superstitious belief, and regularly practise pagan festivals and rituals. At home, many of these youth have also suffered the effects of physical abuse, alcoholism and marital conflict. This has made it more difficult for them to understand the gospel.
Our church partners in Cochabamba have been working with young people age 15 to 18 and 19 to 21 in Compassion’s youth programs. While many of these beneficiaries profess to be Christians, 65 per cent of them are not actively sharing or living out their beliefs. Without a deep conviction of God’s love and truth, many will struggle to resist the negative influences of their families and society and will fall into the same destructive social behaviours as their peers—and, void of hope, will repeat the cycle of poverty.
You can help our partners respond with strategic initiatives to teach and train young people and strengthen them in their faith. By equipping these youth to share the gospel, we can transform lives and communities and set many more people free from poverty, for good.
Give the gift of renewed faith and help transform lives with the gospel of Christ.
This initiative will help 503 young people in Cochabamba receive training and encouragement to strengthen their own faith and learn how to share it effectively with others. Youth will attend a gospel camp, including workshops and seminars, where they will learn how to develop and implement evangelistic activities.
Child development centres impacted:
- BO0522, BO0591, BO0592, BO0593, BO0599, BO0704, BO0709, BO0720, BO0721, BO0733
What is provided through this gift:
- Gospel camp for young people, including:
- Rental of premises
- Meals and transportation
- Staff and speakers
- Sound equipment and instrument rental
- Teaching material and supplies
- First aid kit
- Materials for games
- T-shirts and awards
- Training workshops:
- Teaching material
- Monitoring, follow-up and report writing
- Local contribution: US$1,198.25
- Monitoring: Participating church partners are committed to discipling young people and monitoring their progress throughout the intervention.
- Handling of funds: Compassion’s national office in Bolivia will monitor the ongoing costs of this initiative.
- Follow-up: Church partners will follow up the gospel camp and training seminars with two planned evangelistic activities. By the close of this intervention, they hope to see most of the youth fully equipped to share the gospel with their families and with others.