This project will help: 40,500 children
Estimated completion date: October 2020
Shelter-in-place orders have been put in effect around the world to keep people safe from the COVID-19 virus. But for millions of children, their home is not always safe. According to a survey of Save the Children Bangladesh, from children’s perception, both humiliating and physical punishments have increased at home since the beginning of the pandemic. With the increased impact on the livelihood of caregivers, especially in low-income countries, children have become more vulnerable to child abuse, child marriage and trafficking.
COVID-19 has also brought to light the need for more information on health and hygiene practices and on vocation and technical education for youth. Before the pandemic an estimated 258 million children and youth were out of school. Save the Children recently reported that the pandemic could add an additional 10 million children and youth to this number.
Compassion has always been committed to ensuring children are known, loved and protected. Each of our 25 countries uses a contextualized curriculum in our programming. But the way that this curriculum was originally designed was for in-class instruction. With Compassion’s programming being halted in Bangladesh, local development centre staff must find different and effective ways to connect with children.
Your gift will help provide new learning materials for Compassion-assisted families in Bangladesh targeting child protection, health and hygiene and youth development. Families will be able to access and use these materials at home to help promote a safe environment and holistic development at home.
Help provide new learning materials to keep children safe during the pandemic
Compassion Bangladesh’s curriculum needs to be redesigned to meet the new challenges the pandemic brings. It needs to help bring awareness to issues such as gender-based violence, child marriage, nutrition, mental health and unemployment. Compassion Bangladesh’s child development goal is to bring behavioural change to its children and their parents, to help lead them toward an abundant life. Your investment will help development centre staff reach families in their communities in new and exciting ways.
What your gift will do
This intervention will allow Compassion Bangladesh staff the opportunity to design and develop creative and interactive activities in three areas to engage children at home.
1. Child protection
- 1,000 board games focused on child protection awareness
- 1,000 posters on children’s rights and protection issues
- 500 flipcharts for child protection training for parents’ gatherings
2. Awareness on health and hygiene practices
- 20,000 comic/colouring books on hygiene practices during COVID-19
- 20,000 health awareness brochures
- 40,000 food and nutrition awareness posters
3. Youth development–related materials
- Creation of a documentary on vocational and technical training
- Monitoring: Centre staff and child development leaders will closely monitor this project.
- Handling of funds: Compassion Bangladesh will ensure that this intervention stays within budget.
- Follow-up: Centre staff and child development leaders will follow up with families to ensure that they are thriving.