Children’s ministry launch

Funding required: $8,750

This project will help: 200 children in Fodome Amle, Ghana

Child development centre: GH0648, Fodome Amle G.E.C. Child Development Centre

In Fodome Amle, Ghana, children stand little chance of breaking free from poverty. About 60 per cent of caregivers are unemployed, while some eke out a living as subsistence farmers or petty traders. The average wage is equivalent to just C$16 per month. Most families cannot afford to eat three meals per day. As a result, many children are malnourished. There is a local health clinic but accessing care can be difficult. Further, most people lack knowledge in disease prevention, leaving them vulnerable to hygiene-related illnesses and vector-borne diseases like malaria and cholera. The community school does not have the resources to provide children with a good education, and many drop out before completing their primary grades. Sadly, abuse and teenage pregnancy are also common.

But the local church in Fodome Amle has a deep desire to reach out to their community with the transforming gospel of Christ and respond to some of the most pressing needs of children.

By opening a child development centre, children will have access to health care and will receive supplementary food as needed. Through your support they will also have the opportunity to go to school and receive vocational training, age-appropriate Christian teaching and discipleship, as well as education on important topics like health, hygiene and how to form healthy relationships. Along the way, they will also receive personal attention, guidance and love from caring members of the Christian community.

Real and lasting change happens when children are developed to become the adults who will create change in their community. In Compassion’s program, children learn they are loved, develop hope for their future and realize that God wants to use them to help others. These children grow up to be givers and leaders in their community.

Help children build a new future free from poverty and full of promise by launching a holistic children’s ministry!

Children’s ministry launch

Help a church in Ghana open a holistic child development ministry.

Church name: Global Evangelical Church – Fodome Amle

Community information: Fodome Amle is a flatlands community in Ghana of 3,000 people. Most people work as subsistence farmers or petty traders. Most families make about C$16 a month, but 60 per cent of the population are unemployed. Homes are made of corrugated metal roofs, brick or cement walls and cement floors. The main diet is cassava, goat and maize. About 80 per cent of the population profess to be Christians, and the remaining 20 per cent continue to practise traditional beliefs. There is a need for effective evangelism and follow-up.

What is provided through this gift:

  • Centre staffing
    • Staff recruitment, training and salary
  • Child registration and caregiver orientation
    • Initial caregiver meeting
  • Administrative equipment and supplies
    • Office computer and printer
    • Office supplies
  • Classroom furnishings and supplies
    • Teaching resources and supplies
  • Health checkups
    • Initial health screenings
    • Height and weight measurement tools
80%

No less than 80 per cent of your donation will be used for program activities and a maximum of 20 per cent for fundraising and administration. If we exceed our funding goal for the initiative shown, the remaining funds will be used to fund other programs where the need is greatest.