The most vulnerable people in the world are babies.
Of the 5.9 million children who die around the world each year, 75 per cent die in the first year of life. Babies are at risk of death due to premature birth complications, complications during childbirth, infections, pneumonia and diarrhea.
But this is preventable. With training and support, moms in poverty can be empowered to raise healthy and happy babies.
How does Compassion help moms and babies survive?
Critical care: Your support helps secure access to pre- and postnatal care, skilled birth attendants and medical intervention when necessary.
Home-based care: Mothers are visited in their homes monthly by a Survival specialist, who offers education in prenatal care and early child-rearing as well as one-on-one biblical mentoring.
Group-based learning: At these church-based activities, moms learn skills to earn an income and gain vital knowledge including basic literacy, the importance of breastfeeding and how to prevent malnutrition and disease. These groups combat isolation through a supportive community of mothers who, together, learn about the God who loves them.
Survival in Dominican Republic
Your gift will provide…
Here are some of the specific activities our church partners in the Dominican Republic have planned:
- Physical activities: We will offer moms and babies regular medical checkups and health assessments including immunizations, prenatal and postnatal care and psychological evaluations, if needed. We will also provide education on family spacing, developmental milestones, preventable diseases and breastfeeding. We will also ensure moms and babies receive adequate food and vitamin supplements, as well as oral rehydration if necessary.
- Cognitive activities: Moms will be offered help with literacy if needed, and will learn valuable life skills through the Survival curriculum. Children will be given age-appropriate educational toys and activities to help their minds develop. We will teach moms the importance of talking to and interacting with their babies to promote cognitive development.
- Socio-emotional activities: Through educational talks and workshops, Moms will learn ways to interact with their children with love and will learn about how to form healthy relationships. We will offer recreational activities and celebrations where moms can interact with their children in a fun and relaxed setting. We will also host baby showers for new mothers.
- Spiritual activities: We will share the gospel with moms and will follow up with personal evangelism, Bible studies and discipleship classes. Moms and their families will be invited to special services, retreats, family groups and Sunday School. We will pray with moms and offer spiritual support to the families.
- Parent and family activities: We will offer income-generating skills to help moms provide for their families.
With your help, we can give babies born into poverty the essential care they need, help their mothers properly care for them during the critical prenatal months and first year of life, and set them on the path to a fulfilled life in Jesus Christ.