The most vulnerable people in the world are babies.
Of the 5.2 million children who die around the world each year, 75 per cent die in the first year of life. Babies are at risk of death due to premature birth complications, complications during childbirth, infections, pneumonia and diarrhea.
But this is preventable. With training and support, moms in poverty can be empowered to raise healthy and happy babies.
How does Compassion help moms and babies survive?
Critical care: Your support helps secure access to pre- and postnatal care, skilled birth attendants and medical intervention when necessary.
Home-based care: Mothers are visited in their homes monthly by a Survival specialist, who offers education in prenatal care and early child-rearing as well as one-on-one biblical mentoring.
Group-based learning: At these church-based activities, moms learn skills to earn an income and gain vital knowledge including basic literacy, the importance of breastfeeding and how to prevent malnutrition and disease. These groups combat isolation through a supportive community of mothers who, together, learn about the God who loves them.
Survival in Philippines
Your gift will provide…
Here are some of the specific activities our church partners in Philippines have planned:
- Physical activities: To combat the chronic issues of malnutrition and other illnesses, we will monitor babies’ growth and provide prenatal and postnatal medical checkups, immunizations, hygiene kits and vitamins. Moms will learn to practise good hygiene habits and keep their homes clean to help prevent the spread of disease. Moms will learn the importance of breastfeeding and how to prepare healthy meals for their families.
- Cognitive activities: Moms will increase their reading and writing skills through literacy classes. To promote babies’ motor skills and cognitive development, we will give them age-appropriate educational toys. We will also conduct interactive group activities including songs, Bible stories, games and crafts.
- Socio-emotional activities: Mothers will have bonding time with their babies and will learn to talk to their children with love. They will learn the importance of forming good values through parenting seminars. We will provide counselling for moms who need it. We will celebrate children’s birthdays together to help them feel loved. Families will take part in activities and events to celebrate Family Day, Christmas and other holidays.
- Spiritual activities: Moms in the program will each receive a Bible. Parents will participate in weekly Bible studies and small groups and will have the opportunity to hear the gospel and participate in discipleship classes. The church will also host spiritual retreats for families, encourage parents to dedicate their children to God and hold wedding ceremonies for those who want to legalize their unions.
- Parent and family activities: We will encourage families to participate in community service opportunities such as coastal clean-up and tree planting, which will help build their sense of unity and personal responsibility. We will introduce savings programs and teach moms income-generating skills such as cooking and baking, cosmetology and sewing so they can help support their families.
With your help, we can give babies born into poverty the essential care they need, help their mothers properly care for them during the critical prenatal months and first year of life, and set them on the path to a fulfilled life in Jesus Christ.