One of the most amazing aspects of your sponsorship of a child through Compassion is the way you get to speak courage, hope and love into his or her life. Your messages mean more than you most likely know.
Maria, an 11-year-old from Peru, turned to her sponsor’s letters for hope and encouragement when her father walked out on the family. Reading them, she felt valued and loved when her circumstances told her otherwise.
Padmore Baffour Agyapong says it beautifully: “It takes one word to turn a child’s life around. It could just be, ‘I am praying for you. God is watching over you. I believe that you can make it. I am there with you.’ These words stick in the minds of children and give them the energy to always do their best because they know a sponsor out there supports them. Out of this, they will have the hope that the future holds a lot for them.”
If you haven’t written in a while, a Christmas card is a perfect place to start! Here are a few tips to write a great Christmas card to your Compassion child.
1. Include a verse
Guide your sponsored child to Scripture as the place to find truth and a firm foundation for life. Here are five of our favourites for Christmas-time:
- “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6
- “‘The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel’ (which means ‘God with us’).” Matthew 1:23
- “But the angel said to them, ‘Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.’” Luke 2:10
- “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favour rests.” Luke 2:14
- “Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!” 2 Corinthians 9:15
2. Include a taste of the gospel
At Christmas, you have the opportunity to remind your Compassion child of the meaning behind the holiday—the incredible gift of grace God has offered us through Jesus Christ. Remind your child of the gospel message—that we have all sinned and fallen short, but that God offers us His free grace when we put our faith in Him!
The simplest things often mean the most. Here are a few ideas for encouragements to give your child:
- We love you.
- We are praying for you.
- God is good, and you can trust Him.
- Trust in God and remember to turn to Him in all things.
- You matter—you are valued by us and by God!
4. Include a family picture
Kids love to get pictures of their sponsors! If your family has taken a picture for Christmas, send it along to your Compassion child too. Often, children look at these pictures as they pray for your family.
Use writing a Christmas card as a reminder to pray! Compassion children will be attending a Christmas gathering at their Compassion centre. Pray that God would use it to reveal His truth to the many families in attendance. In your card, share your prayer for your sponsored child for the New Year. It can be something as simple as, “I pray you will grow in your love of Jesus this year.”
6. Write it online
If you are in a rush and aren’t sure if you can get it written in time, send a card quickly and easily on My.Compassion.ca. Now let’s get writing!