The most vulnerable people in the world are babies.
Of the 5.9 million children who die around the world each year, 75 per cent die in the first year of life. Babies are at risk of death due to premature birth complications, complications during childbirth, infections, pneumonia and diarrhea.
But this is preventable. With training and support, moms in poverty can be empowered to raise healthy and happy babies.
How does Compassion help moms and babies survive?
Critical care: Your support helps secure access to pre- and postnatal care, skilled birth attendants and medical intervention when necessary.
Home-based care: Mothers are visited in their homes monthly by a Survival specialist, who offers education in prenatal care and early child-rearing as well as one-on-one biblical mentoring.
Group-based learning: At these church-based activities, moms learn skills to earn an income and gain vital knowledge including basic literacy, the importance of breastfeeding and how to prevent malnutrition and disease. These groups combat isolation through a supportive community of mothers who, together, learn about the God who loves them.
Survival in Bolivia
Your gift will provide…
Here are some of the specific activities our church partners in Bolivia have planned:
- Physical activities:: Babies will receive monthly growth monitoring to ensure they are growing well, along with regular medical checkups and pre- and post-natal checkups for mom. Lessons on breastfeeding, nutritional food and hygiene care will be provided and moms will receive a monthly provision of food.
- Cognitive activities: Moms and babies will participate in group activities that will help their babies develop using early stimulation activities, gross motor skills and social development. Moms will also receive education materials to use at home to strengthen their baby’s skills one-to-one. Moms will be invited to participate in income-generating activities to help support their families.
- Socio-emotional activities: Workshops for parents to help build healthy, stable environments within the home and develop supportive, nurturing relationships with their babies. Working with moms to build their self-esteem and self-confidence. Celebrations with moms and babies for birthdays, Mother’s Day, children’s day and Christmas, to show them love and that they are special.
- Spiritual activities: Biblical teaching and training as a group, as well as prayer and worship time together. During home visits staff will spend time doing a devotional with moms. The church will host spiritual retreats and provide family counseling.
- Parent and family activities: Parents will be invited to participate in workshops about the family and activities set up for couples to deepen relationships and build healthy, happy families.
With your help, we can give babies born into poverty the essential care they need, help their mothers properly care for them during the critical prenatal months and first year of life, and set them on the path to a fulfilled life in Jesus Christ.