The most vulnerable people in the world are babies.
Of the 5.2 million children who die around the world each year, 75 per cent die in the first year of life. Babies are at risk of death due to premature birth complications, complications during childbirth, infections, pneumonia and diarrhea.
But this is preventable. With training and support, moms in poverty can be empowered to raise healthy and happy babies.
How does Compassion help moms and babies survive?
Critical care: Your support helps secure access to pre- and postnatal care, skilled birth attendants and medical intervention when necessary.
Home-based care: Mothers are visited in their homes monthly by a Survival specialist, who offers education in prenatal care and early child-rearing as well as one-on-one biblical mentoring.
Group-based learning: At these church-based activities, moms learn skills to earn an income and gain vital knowledge including basic literacy, the importance of breastfeeding and how to prevent malnutrition and disease. These groups combat isolation through a supportive community of mothers who, together, learn about the God who loves them.
Survival in Ghana
Your gift will provide…
Here are some of the specific activities our church partners in Ghana have planned:
- Physical activities: Moms and babies will receive regular health screenings, and babies will be weighed and measured monthly. Babies will receive routine vaccinations and pregnant women will receive pre- and postnatal care. Babies showing signs of malnourishment will receive additional care. Moms will also attend workshops on hygiene, nutrition, stages of child development, reproductive health and family planning. Moms will be registered in the national health insurance system to access additional care as needed.
- Cognitive activities: : Moms will attend literacy and math classes. Young moms will be supported to complete their education so they can identify their God-given talents. During early stimulation activities, moms will learn how to interact and play with their babies to support their cognitive development and fine and gross motor skills. Babies will also receive educational toys to use at home and at the centre.
- Socio-emotional activities: Moms will have access to counselling and will be encouraged to take leadership roles in group activities to build their self-confidence. They will learn to develop a healthy bond with their children so they can build happy, healthy homes. We will celebrate children’s birthdays to help them feel loved.
- Spiritual activities: Moms will receive their own Bibles and they will study the Bible and pray together during group meetings. Moms will also enjoy devotionals and discipleship classes. Families will be invited to participate in regular church services as well as spiritual retreats and events to strengthen their faith. Couples will be encouraged to legalize their unions through marriage.
- Parent and family activities: Income-generating workshops such as soap making, baking, dressmaking and crafting jewellery will equip moms to start small businesses and help support their families. Couples will be offered marriage counselling, as well as workshops on child protection, parenting and the role of fathers in the family.
With your help, we can give babies born into poverty the essential care they need, help their mothers properly care for them during the critical prenatal months and first year of life, and set them on the path to a fulfilled life in Jesus Christ.