The most vulnerable people in the world are babies.
Of the 5.2 million children who die around the world each year, 75 per cent die in the first year of life. Babies are at risk of death due to premature birth complications, complications during childbirth, infections, pneumonia and diarrhea.
But this is preventable. With training and support, moms in poverty can be empowered to raise healthy and happy babies.
How does Compassion help moms and babies survive?
Critical care: Your support helps secure access to pre- and postnatal care, skilled birth attendants and medical intervention when necessary.
Home-based care: Mothers are visited in their homes monthly by a Survival specialist, who offers education in prenatal care and early child-rearing as well as one-on-one biblical mentoring.
Group-based learning: At these church-based activities, moms learn skills to earn an income and gain vital knowledge including basic literacy, the importance of breastfeeding and how to prevent malnutrition and disease. These groups combat isolation through a supportive community of mothers who, together, learn about the God who loves them.
Survival in Indonesia
Your gift will provide…
Here are some of the specific activities our church partners in Indonesia have planned:
- Physical activities: Moms will receive food kits and vitamins. Babies will receive routine vaccinations, as well as monthly height and weight checks. Babies who are malnourished will be given supplemental food. Pregnant moms will receive good pre- and postnatal care, and we will ensure that every mom gives birth in a health centre. Moms will also receive education on a variety of health topics. Additional medical care and treatment will be provided where needed.
- Cognitive activities: We will teach moms activities to stimulate babies’ senses, such as smell, taste and touch. We will encourage moms to play and interact with their babies often to promote their cognitive development and fine motor skills. Moms will attend workshops to learn about healthy child development and maintaining healthy family relationships.
- Socio-emotional activities: Moms will have access to counselling and emotional support. They will also share experiences with each other when they gather for group meetings. Staff will work with moms one-on-one and in groups to help them develop the skills and knowledge they need to build happy, healthy homes.
- Spiritual activities: Moms will attend Bible study groups and discipleship classes to increase their faith. They will gather to worship God through music and pray together. Staff will share the gospel with moms and offer spiritual counselling.
- Parent and family activities: Couples will be able to attend marriage workshops, as well as other seminars and events to help them develop stable and happy homes. Staff will work with fathers to help them understand their role in supporting moms before, during and after birth. Moms will be encouraged to plant gardens to provide nutritious food and generate income for their families.
With your help, we can give babies born into poverty the essential care they need, help their mothers properly care for them during the critical prenatal months and first year of life, and set them on the path to a fulfilled life in Jesus Christ.