The most vulnerable people in the world are babies.
Of the 5.2 million children who die around the world each year, 75 per cent die in the first year of life. Babies are at risk of death due to premature birth complications, complications during childbirth, infections, pneumonia and diarrhea.
But this is preventable. With training and support, moms in poverty can be empowered to raise healthy and happy babies.
How does Compassion help moms and babies survive?
Critical care: Your support helps secure access to pre- and postnatal care, skilled birth attendants and medical intervention when necessary.
Home-based care: Mothers are visited in their homes monthly by a Survival specialist, who offers education in prenatal care and early child-rearing as well as one-on-one biblical mentoring.
Group-based learning: At these church-based activities, moms learn skills to earn an income and gain vital knowledge including basic literacy, the importance of breastfeeding and how to prevent malnutrition and disease. These groups combat isolation through a supportive community of mothers who, together, learn about the God who loves them.
Survival in El Salvador
Your gift will provide…
Here are some of the specific activities partners in El Salvador have planned.
- Physical activities: Moms and babies will receive vitamins, prenatal and postnatal checkups and additional health care if needed. Babies will be immunized, and families will receive mosquito nets to protect from mosquito-borne diseases. Moms will also learn about stages of child development and attend parenting workshops. We will teach moms about nutrition and safe food-handling practices and give them vitamins and food baskets each month. Parents will also be encouraged to plant gardens help prevent malnutrition. Moms will learn about water filtration, hygiene and sanitation.
- Cognitive activities: Moms will receive help with their literacy skills, if needed. To help parents stimulate their babies, we will give babies new toys four times per year. During home visits and group meetings, mothers will learn to activate their babies’ brains and develop their motor skills using songs, massage and physical play. Moms will learn about parenting, sexual and reproductive health and personal improvement.
- Socio-emotional activities: Parents and children will have fun together at celebrations of Christmas, birthdays, baby showers, Mothers’ Day and Children’s Day. Families will also participate in recreational activities and community dinners. Moms will learn how to speak to their children with love and build healthy friendships with their peers.
- Spiritual activities: We will give moms Bibles and study and pray with them during home visits. Moms will attend Bible studies, prayer meetings and other activities so they can hear God’s Word and be transformed. The church pastor will provide pre-marital and family counselling and will offer baby dedication and baptism to the parents.
- Parent and family activities: Moms will attend workshops to gain income-generating skills so they can provide for their families.
With your help, we can give babies born into poverty the essential care they need, help their mothers properly care for them during the critical prenatal months and first year of life and set them on the path to a fulfilled life in Jesus Christ.